Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Legal advice for a minor?

Well, I'm currently 15 years old. On Wednesday of this week I was charged with possession of more than half an ounce, manufacturing of marijuana, distribution, and some other thing that I can't recall at the moment. Before all of this happened, I also had an assault charge against me that I had yet to go to court for. My court date for that is December 19th. My other charges are pending, and the court date hasn't been determined. They said that they have up to 5 years to actually file the charges. My question is, if they wait till after I'm 16, which is in February, will I be tried as an adult? Even if it all happened while I was 15?





Also, I live in the state of North Carolina. I'm not sure if the laws are different here or not.Legal advice for a minor?
The age at the time you committed the crime determines the punishment. If you are 14 when you commit a burglary they can't wait until your 17 so they can sentence you as an adult.





There are predetermined crimes in which a minor can be charged and or punished as an adult, in NC I wouldn't pretend to know what they are but in Texas they reserve it to more serious charges such as murder, etc.





Also in Texas the age at which you can be charged and put in jail is 17 not 16 though NC may be different.Legal advice for a minor?
If NC doesn't get to choose whether they try you as an adult or as a minor, then they will treat you as a 15 year old, since that is how old you were at the time you were arrested. Most states these days only try kids as adults in major cases like murder, so you should be safe. Where is your public defender or lawyer? You need to talk to someone with a license to practice law about this just to be absolutely certain.
It doesn't matter when the charges are filed, it's when the crime was committed.
You might want to hope they do not try u as a adult.If they do after u come out try not doing it again.
  • revlon color
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment