Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Legal advice on preventing my pets to be gone from rental house?

I just received a letter taped to my door saying that my cats (3) must be removed by tomarrow afternoon. There was also a copy of a chit from a allergy clinic stating that my roomates daughter was alergic to cats and was recommended she not be around them. This was started from my roomates ex-fiance who he has his two kids with. She also has several cats at her place.





Is there any legal help I can get that would give me more time so I can find a new place to live that will accept my cats? Or something I can do if it comes down to him taking the situation in his own hands and getting rid of them one way or another?





I have had the cats in the house for over 1 1/2 years, and I can not part with them. I also have no rental contract, as I am renting from someone who was a friend of 16+ years. (yes. bad idea)





Please, any ideas are welcome.Legal advice on preventing my pets to be gone from rental house?
Who is the letter from? Your landlord? Your roommate?





The lease should have a pet clause. EIther you are allowed pets, or not. If you are not allowed to have pets, then you have no choice but to find a new home for you and your pet family, or for your cats.





If it is from your roommate - there is nothing that she (or he) can legally do to prevent you from having the cats (unless, of course, cats are not allowed as per your lease).





If it is from your landlord - then the rules for pets should be compared to that of your lease.





A letter from anyone else doesn't matter at all - if its from a doctor, a doctor can't make you get rid of your cats.





If your roommate entered into the situation knowing you have cats, then that's her problem. If you sprang three cats on her two months after the lease commenced, well, that's a different story.








If your landlord has been OK with cats for the whole time, then you should speak to her about this. If you paid a pet deposit, then obviously you should get it back (if you didn't deplete it) .





I guess it all depends on who the letter was from, then I'll be able to help you further.

















edit- ok, so i think i get it.... roommate wants custody of daughter - daughter is allergic to cats, ex says ';you can't have custody you live with cats'; etc... so i guess you have to chose your words wisley as it is a serious matter. perhaps you could offer allergen reducing methods to housekeeping, there are a lot of them relating to cats. (i know, i am allergic to cats, but i have a wonderful cat who usually doesn't bother me - unless he sleeps on my bed or touches my face...)Legal advice on preventing my pets to be gone from rental house?
Talk to the person you are renting from.


He calls the shots.


If the boyfriend becomes a problem for you or your cats, call the police.


You have RIGHTS too.
ask your room mate, since he is the owner, if you can keep the cats, if he says yes then there is no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment