Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Legal advice - Moving out?

I live in MA. I'm 17 years old, but I'll be turning 18 in January.


Lately, my mother has been extremely unbearable. She screams non-stop. She blames my sister and I for everything that happens to the family. I've got to get out of here.


She's always threatening to call the police when I leave.


I need to go.


Adults, please don't give me bullshit about how I can't support myself. I'd live with my boyfriend - his parents care for me more than she does.


I've got to go. No question.


I just need to know how. What would happen if my mother called the police if I left? I'm almost 18. She keeps threatening to send me to some home, and call DSS. She has a history of mental illness and tried commuting suicide at one point, so someone's got to know she's crazy.Legal advice - Moving out?
because you're under 18, cops would bring you back to your mother if your mom were to file a report stating that you ran away.


wait until you're 18 because then there is nothing that she can do, legally.Legal advice - Moving out?
Hang in there somehow for another 5 months until you're 18. If you go before that, she can call the police and have you brought back.





Your only other real option is to turn yourself in to child services, and have them put you in a foster home. But think carefully before you do that, since you could end up somewhere that's no better than home, and maybe even worse.





You could ask a judge to be emancipated, but that process would cost money and would end up taking longer than 5 months so there's no point in doing that.





Good luck.
Jacki's response is right on. In the meantime, avoid any confrontation with your mother and comply with any reasonable request she may have in order to soothe her temperment.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment